Friday, June 11, 2010

Tijuana Estuary to Rivermouth (#10)

June 2, 2010 -
After yesterday's wildlife encounters I thought I'd mix it up a bit and walk somewhere closer to my roots (and I'm not talking about my hometown of Wichita) and the lifestyle of my youth. My walk from the corner of Coronado and Seacoast Avenue in Imperial Beach, along the west side of the Tijuana Estuary all the way to the Tijuana Rivermouth and back is mostly self-explanatory from these pictures so I'll let them do most of the talking.


Walking on the top of the rock ridge allows you to see the estuary without stepping into the sand dunes (out of bounds due to the fragile ecosystems and endangered birds) and have a view of the ocean at the same time.


Crazy memories about "this" surf spot. Self-indulgent, I know, but in my late teens/early twenties I joined what might be considered an quasi-elite group of surfers (or perhaps its more like I quasi-joined and elite group of surfers) by surfing here on a handful of occasions when the waves were over twenty feet. Details about my surfing days could provide fodder for entirely different blog so I won't go any further in that direction.


Unfortunately, right as I approached the river mouth, which you can kind of see here, my camera battery died on me. Sorry 'bout that! Not having walked down this far for quite some number of years, I was surprised by how far the mouth itself had migrated southward. The last blurry shot we see here is just a small view of what was an immense batch of pelicans and other estuary/sea birds.

My walk back gave me lots of time to reflect on my years of cleaning the beach and being a significant part of the I. B. beach culture. Good ol' daze as they say!


MAP

No comments:

Post a Comment