Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Miramar Reservoir (#49)


Feb. 7, 2011 - I didn't have high expectations for this outing. But when we first approached Lake Miramar from where we parked at the west end of the reservoir, even my low expectations were shattered.

Something about chain link and barbed wire; you know what I mean? This brought on a flashback of the bust I experienced at Sweetwater Reservoir (#4).

I felt really sorry for Sandy, my trail hound, because she, and Wilson, for that matter, were looking forward to a hike and, honestly, I was about ready to turn around and go home.

Next thing I know we were walking between TWO chain link fences, one on each side of us! I felt like I was in a prison camp or a science fiction novel... "Don't touch the nature!"

I'm saying "We're outta here!" while Wilson says calmly... "Chill out Boss, let's just do what we always do and see what's up ahead." I figured I owed it to him, being as Wilson is pretty much the best walking stick in the world, so we walked a little further and...

...fortunately, to the sound of our collective sighs/pants of relief, we not only shed the alien fences, but discovered a dirt trail apart from the dreaded paved path (nice for bikes and roller blades but paws and walking sticks - not so much.)

Seriously, the trail turned out to be much more pleasant than anticipated.  It didn't hurt that it happened to be one of those typically magnificent San Diego sunny, blue sky days with the glassy surface of the lake continually winking sparkles at us.

Though the trail did meander slightly away from the shore once or twice, the lake was almost always within eye shot.





It seemed to me, by looking at the body of water and mentally calculating the circumference, that the hike would come up far short of the 5 miles that it's billed for. I soon realized that the fingers, formed by the many coves around the lake, would account for much of the mileage.


















About half way around we found a nice rest area with about half a dozen picnic tables.





































This is a test:


Native   or    Non-native?
















































































We made it to the east end of the trail...












...and then curved around to the south side of the lake.























Though I call her my trail dog, fact is she doesn't really get out often enough.

Sandy was pooped!






Almost back to where we started we found this boat dock with an adjacent ramp. I think our next visit here will probably be with Kayaks.


Another Nice Hike!

MAP


















View from East End of Lake




No comments:

Post a Comment