Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Old Mission Dam/Oak Canyon Trail (#40)


October 29, 2010 - This was our second visit to Mission Trails Regional Park.

We came back to visit the Old Mission Dam...









...and then hike the Oak Canyon Trail.











The Old Mission Dam was the first major irrigation project on the Pacific Coast.










The concrete dam and flume was constructed between 1813 - 1816 to divert water from the San Diego River for about 6 miles as a source of water for crops and livestock at the San Diego Mission de Alcala.






Moving right along, we hit up the Oak Canyon Trail.











All the trails in MTRP are very well maintained.












After reading caution signs warning of mountain lions Wilson and I were on our way.
























It didn't take us long to find this friendly old Oak.
























 Cool, a tunnel!


Hope there's nothing living in there!








































Wilson thought we hit a dead end and suggested we turn around.










I was starting to think he was correct...












...until I found the path we should have been on.











Interesting bridge. I understand that at times this is a rushing waterway.

































































"Hey look!" says Wilson. "We could probably turn left here and shortcut back if we turn left up this steep rough trail."








"I don't know, Wilson. Sure looks steep and rugged, and it's not marked. Besides that I think I see some Mountain Lion tracks," I retorted.








"Don't be a wimp! Let's do this thing." was Wilson's insistent response.








Now I had to admit that when we reached the top there was a great view of Highway 52...









...and the view east was not so bad either. I should have followed my own instinct, however, because that trail definitely was not going to take us anywhere we wanted to be.






Now, unfortunately, I hadn't worn my hiking boots. Instead just a treadless pair of tennies were responsible for helping me negotiate the steep gravely trail back down with Wilson doing his share of the work.







With my attention focused on the ground I was slipping on, I spied the clearly imprinted mountain lion print.







Now, of course, Wilson was doubting. He muttered that someone had probably walked their dog up there until I reminded him that it had rained two days ago and if someone had walked their dog we would be seeing their footprints as well.




Wilson sped up and we got back on the trail heading home. I did my best to keep up with him!
































































Glad to be back!


Another Fantastic Hike!
MAP




































No comments:

Post a Comment