Monday, August 2, 2010

Downtown San Diego (#27)

August 2, 2010 - Today was a long awaited sunny, blue sky San Diego day. On the heels of the coolest July since 1933, the warm sunshine was very much appreciated!

I decided to take my walking to Downtown San Diego this morning, and I was immediately rewarded with this beautiful skyline view from where I parked.

As most longtime locals know, the downtown area has come a looong way over the past few decades. It's safer, cleaner and with more to do.

The Gaslamp District is a very happening place nowadays with the nightlife pretty much going full bore 7 days a week.



It didn't take long before I walked by the the oldest surviving wooden structure in San Diego, the William Heath Davis House. VERY interesting to read about. Check out this link if you like: http://www.gaslampquarter.org/history/thehouse.php



The Horton Grand seen here is a restoration of two separate hotels (The Grand Horton Hotel and the Brooklyn Kahle Saddlery Hotel) built at different locations and opened in 1886. Wyatt Earp, one of my idols, actually lived in the Brooklyn most of the seven years that he lived here in San Diego.
http://www.hortongrand.com/history.php


Dick's is a fun place to eat but be prepared to be waited on by intentionally abusive waiters who can serve some pretty good food while throwing your dining utensils and mocking you at will.





The VERY best steak my wife and I have ever eaten was from this restaurant on one of our ample anniversaries. As a matter of fact, at the time we happened to be staying at the afore mentioned Horton Grand and literally stumbled upon Flemings as we were taking a short walk down the street.






Here's the San Diego Convention Center where one of our youngsters recently worked for the ever-expanding-in-popularity "Comic Con."





And then there's Petco Park, of course, home of the currently first place Padres!









I just happen to come upon two busloads of Padres about to leave for L.A. to play the Dodgers. As the last bus was about to turn the corner, a lone Padre came flying out from the park as a few devoted fans standing by screamed "Stop the Bus!" I'm thinking that he would be pretty embarrassed about that one.



After that brief encounter with the "home team," I walked along the Martin Luther King Jr. Promenade.
























And came to Seaport Village...











...and then walked through the Embarcadero Marine Park.













The Coronado Bridge is always somewhere nearby when you are anywhere close to the bay.









There, on the other side of the artsy Marlin, North Island Naval Base can be seen.


























The U.S.S. Midway Aircraft Carrier, now a museum, is a fantastic way to spend a few hours. Lots of interesting things to see and learn about.










Shhh... let's leave them some privacy.









The world's oldest active ship, built in 1863, the Star of India.











After walking along the water's edge for awhile I turned east and head back into the city.







Along the way I walked through the Union Station, also known as the Santa Fe Depot, built in 1887 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Listed on the National Register of Historical Places you can almost feel the history breathing inside this place.






Then there's Horton Plaza if you feel like some serious shopping.











I ended my day's jaunt at a cool spot where one of my son's used to work. The East Village Tavern and Bowl has some very fun and decent people who work there. My tacos & iced tea were quite good.





A final glimpse of Petco Park on my way out. All in all, my walk took me about two hours and it was two hours well spent I'd say.




Another great walk!

1 comment: